Experiential Traveller’s ‘Peruvian Fusion’
Lorraine is delighted to announce that her inaugural Experiential Traveller journey will be to the world’s much lauded centre of gastronomy: Peru, anchored to Mistura, one of the world’s finest food festivals!
Modern Australian food is often a fusion of flavours and cultures so what better place to start that Peru who invented this fusion practice now copied the world over. Peruvian cuisine is the original fusion food, having absorbed influences from almost every continent over the last 500 years and melded them with ingredients and dishes that provide a direct link to the Incas. This makes it truly unique and yet accessible to many tastes.
While it is best known for ceviche, the marinated raw seafood dish, Peru’s food is remarkable for the diversity of its ingredients, from wonderful fresh fish to astounding varieties of potatoes, corn and chilies, and for preparations that encompass the world, from stir-fried beef to pasta with shrimp.
”Peruvian is the single most important cuisine in Latin America, with a repertoire of dishes maybe bigger than France,” says Nobu Matsuhisa, the chef and a co-owner of Nobu. He fell in love with seafood soup, purple potatoes and cilantro when he spent four years as a young man cooking in Lima, the Peruvian capital. Today, the Nobu menu includes several Peruvian specialties, like tiradito, a cross between ceviche and sashimi in which raw white fish is gently flavored with citrus and enlivened with chili, then served exquisitely unadorned, the thin slices fanned out like the delicate petals of a flower.
Not Quite Nigella in Peru
14 days of authentic experiences, fine food & luxe travel through Peru including Lima & MIstura food festival, Arequipa, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu & Cusco.
We invite you to join Lorraine Elliott aka Not Quite Nigella and like-minded foodies as we ignite your taste buds and minds on carefully curated, stylish journey of a lifetime through Peru, named as the world’s leading culinary destination for the last 5 years. This is an exclusive program with VIP access to Mistura, Peru’s premier food festival held annually and now also recognized as one of the best food festivals globally.
This journey includes:
- Accommodation for 13 nights in luxurious boutique hotels including full breakfast at your leisure and wifi
- 8 signature dinner events, 10 signature lunches, as well as snacks, & tastings. Some drinks included where indicated (we leave no food unturned!)
- VIP meet & greet plus private airport transfers
- Internal flights as part of the journey
- Journey accompanied by Australia’s Leading Food Blogger Lorraine Elliott
- English and Spanish speaking personal tour concierge
- Private transfers within itinerary to/from restaurants, events, & touring included in the itinerary.
- Activity level: easy to moderate. As we focus on food the main activity is eating! But Macchu Picchu is moderate level.
- Exclusive VIP access to the Mistura Food Festival Opening Day Event. Meeting Peru’s best chefs, tasting the best dishes Peru has to offer
- Dining at some of Lima’s top restaurants showcasing Peru’s sophisticated unique fusion of cuisines including access to their kitchens and meeting the chefs
- One-off private dinner in one of Lima’s historic colonial mansion hosted by a top Peruvian Chef
- Private cooking class in unique surrounds of a leading local chef’s private apartment
- Unique picanteria experience in Arequipa learning about regional cuisine of Arequipa with unique tasting menu
- Learn how to make empanadas and marvel at the array of produce available from the pre-inca terraces in the Sacred Valley
- Chefs table showcasing local cuisine of the Urubamba Valley, one of Peru’s richest agricultural regions and renowned horse show
- Signature gourmet experiences at one of the Sacred Valleys iconic locations
- Learn how to mix that perfect Peruvian cocktail
- Exploration of Cusco’s unique San Pedro market with local chef followed by luncheon using local organic ingredients purchased from market
- Immerse with a local community and learn their own traditions and secrets surrounding the unique fusion of food in Andes over generations
- A finale and celebration of Peruvian food ‘not to be missed, leaving the best in Peru’s fine cuisine to be savoured on the last of our indulgent sensory overload journey. We end our amazing 14 days with a dinner at Peru’s best restaurant.
Touring Inclusions (it’s not just food, although a large part of it is!):
- Wifi (SIM card provided) so you can keep in touch, and welcome pack
- Walking tour of historic Lima
- Visit to Larco Museum
- Walking tour of Arequipa and visit to Santa Catalina Monastery
- Exploration of region surrounding Arequipa and its famous Volcanoes
- Touring the Sacred Valley including visits to Pisac, Maras & Moray and Ollantaytambo
- Return train to Machu Picchu
- Private guided exploration of the lost city ‘Machu Picchu’
- Private exploration of Cusco including visit to the impressive sacred ruins situated above the Royal City of the Incas
- Exclusive visit to local community outside of Cusco
- International airfare unless indicated
- Some meals as indicated (we like to give you a few meals where you can do your own exploration or perhaps eat a light meal).
Thinking of exploring beyond?
We have access to an exclusive range of touring options including pre, & post night accommodations & signature experiences across the entire region including the Amazon, Galapagos Islands, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Iguassu Falls and Rio de Janeiro. We would be delighted to help you.